Kung Pao Chicken
1 bell pepper
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves
¼ cup peanuts or cashews (optional)
1 - 3 green chilies
1 - 3 dried chilies
¼ cup cooking oil (sunflower, colza)
600g chicken breast (thinly sliced)
2 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
¼ cup ketchup
Sweet, sour, spicy, sticky and delicious. Oh, did I mention it is super quick to prepare! How much chili you use is really up to you, but please do add a little, otherwise the flavors will not be balanced on your tongue (umami). Here’s the step-by-step (with pictures) recipe. Vegetarians can substitute the chicken with tofu, mushrooms or any vegetable you like.
Cut the chicken in strips. Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar into the chicken and mix it well. Then add the cornstarch into the marinated chicken, mix it really well. Set aside.
In another bowl, make a sauce with sugar, sesame oil, soy sauce and ketchup (yes ketchup). Mix until the sugar is melted. I personally don’t like my food too salty and find the soy sauce and ketchup is enough, but you can add a bit of salt here to taste.
Thinly slice 1 onion and half bell pepper. Finely dice 2 garlic cloves and chilies. Soak the dried chili in some hot water to soften it (leave whole, to add a smoky flavor to the dish).
Add some oil to your wok (or heavy skillet, I don’t have a wok). Heat oil to smoking and add the onion, bell pepper, sauté for 1 minute, add garlic, sauté for a minute. Add chicken, peanuts, dried chili and green chilies (you can add the green chili with the sauce instead, because it can sting the throat a bit.) Sauté in high heat for 5 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium, add the sauce and stir (tip: if the dish feels too dry, add a tablespoon of water). Cook until beautifully glossy. Serve with some white rice, noodles or make some fried rice. Enjoy.
Honey Soy Roasted Chicken
Recipe for 1 whole chicken
1 whole chicken with skin
50 grams butter (makes the skin crispy, leave out for healthier option)
1 medium onion
4 cloves of garlic
1 knob of ginger
1 teaspoon crushed dry chilies (add more for extra spicy or leave out)
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons white pepper (substitute for 1 teaspoon of black pepper)
1 tablespoon sesame oil (optional, adds a smoky flavor)
- In a blender, blend all the ingredients (except chicken) into a paste, creating a marinade.
- Separate (but keep attached) the skin from the chicken using the back of a spoon.
- Spoon the marinade under the skin, make sure to marinate inside the cavity too
- Place marinated chicken on a baking tray, breast side down
- Set the oven to 200 degrees Celsius, roast chicken for 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes, turn chicken breast side up, add a little (about 100 ml) water, to the tray to prevent burning and create a nice sauce. Bake for another 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, spoon some sauce on the breast and loosely cover with foil.
- Reduce oven temperature to 175 degrees Celsius and bake for another 20 minutes
- Remove the chicken from oven and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes before serving (this allows the chicken juices to be re-absorbed and the meat will be beautifully juicy and tender)
Serve with white rice and make a sandwich with left overs. Yummy…!!!!!
by Chef Sharin
Wow your friends and family alike with this simple but ever so delicious dish. With this dish you can make it very healthy or you can make it a rich creamy dish with the addition of butter and cream. There are 3 parts: making the sweet potato puree, roasting the tomatoes & panfrying the fish. The sweet potato can be prepared ahead of time, and warmed up before serving.
Ingredients: for 4 persons
- 4-8 filet red snapper or trout with skin
- 2 big sweet potatoes (800g)
- cherry tomatoes (20 pieces)
- salt (kosher or sea salt)
- black pepper
- garlic(4 cloves)
- olive oil
- milk or cream (optional)
- butter (optional)
Sweet potato puree (taste great with steaks too):
Heat oven to 200 degrees celcius. Cut sweet potato (skin on is healthier) in cubes, place in a baking dish with the whole garlic cloves, add black pepper and salt to taste with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes (or until potatoes have softened). Put the ingredients in the blender and puree (here you can add some cream and butter to make the dish richer).
Tip: You can also serve the sweet potato just roasted, without puree
You can make this at the same time you roast the sweet potatoes. Heat oven to 200 degrees celsius. Toss the tomatoes with olive oil, salt & pepper, place in a lined baking tray and roast for 10 minutes (if you like it softer, roast a bit longer).
Tip: Add some dry Italian herbs mix before roasting, tastes amazing
Red Snapper or Trout:
Prepare this last as it takes only 3 minutes. Pat fish dry with paper towel; season both sides with salt and pepper. In a non-stick pan heat oil or butter on medium heat. Place fish skin side down, press each filet with a spatula for about 20 seconds to prevent it from curling and fry for 2 or 3 minutes (depending on thickness, skin should become crispy). Flip the fish and cook the other side for another minute or until cooked through. Serve skin side up.
Plate up as you wish, garnish with a sprinkle of fresh herbs and enjoy.
Tip: Don’t over cook the fish, 3 minutes doesn’t seem long, but if it is a thin filet, as mine was on the picture above, it will be more than enough.
Tip: You can use any fish for this dish, if you don't have the skin on, fry both sides equally. The thicker the filet, the longer the cooking time. Alternatively, if you are making this for a large group, you can also broil the fish in the oven.
Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or suggestions, I always love to have a chat.
Ingredients: for 4 persons
600g pumpkin cubed
1 medium onion diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes (optional)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
salt to taste
coriander leaves to garnish (optional)
2 tablespoons oil
Fry in oil the minced garlic, cumin & chill flakes. Add the onions, and cook the onions until translucent. Add the shrimps , pumpkin, salt & sugar and cook uncovered for about 8 to 10 minutes on medium heat. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve it with plain rice, and a dash of lime juice.
Tip: Add a can of chickpeas when you add the pumpkin & shrimps. to make it a hearty and wholesome dish.
by Sharin Hossain
Another favorite meal of ours, an italian classic, it literally takes minutes to make, but the freshness and the aroma of the fried garlic that fills the house is simply paradise…
Ingredients for 4 persons:
- 400g of fettuccine
- 1kg small clams (vongole) washed & purged
- 1 bouquet of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 10 cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 250ml white wine
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried red chilies (optional)
- 100ml cream (optional)
- boil water for pasta (if you use fresh fettuccine, it takes about 4 minutes to cook)
- Heat a pot with olive oil, fry the garlic and chili flakes
- Put the shallots in and fry
- Start boiling the pasta
- Put the vongole in the pot and pour the white wine. Cover the lid and cook in high heat for 4 minutes.
- Drain you pasta
- After 4 minutes, open lid & toss in the tomatoes & parsley. If you wish to have a rich sauce, which you can eat with some bread in the end, you can also add the cream.
- Toss in the pasta, mix well, and bonne appetit…
Quick & Easy Grilled Prawns
by Sharin Hossain
- Prawns - 20 pieces, shell on, deveined
- Cherry Tomatoes - 15 – 20 (sliced in half)
- Shallots - 3 – 4 finely diced
- Garlic - 4 cloves minced
- Chili flakes - 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Olive oil - 4 tablespoon
- Black pepper - 1 teaspoon
- Sea Salt - to taste ( 2 teaspoons )
Put all the ingredients together and marinate the prawns in the fridge for about an hour.
Place the prawns on a hot skillet and grill for 2 minutes on each side. Serve with some lemon juice and chopped parsley and some grilled vegetable.
Salmon with asparagus and cherry tomatoes in a teriyaki hoisin sauce
by Sharin Hossain March 5, 2015
One of the dishes my kids absolutely adore is our salmon with asparagus. I also love making it as it takes 10 min to prepare and the super healthy.
Salmon with asparagus and cherry tomatoes in a teriyaki hoisin sauce (for 4 people)
- 4 filets of salmon 150g each
- 24 asparagus (big bunch)
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 shallot (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped )
- 4 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
- 4 tablespoons of soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 1 lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of crushed pepper (optional)
In a bowl mix the marinade, place the salmon filets in the marinade and mix well, keep in the fridge for 30 to 40 minutes.
Cut the asparagus in bite size pieces, and tomatoes in half. Place in the marinade.
Preheat oven to 220°c.
Place the salmon in a baking dish and place the asparagus and tomato around the salmon.
Bake for 20 minutes.
By Sharin Hossain February 18, 2015
Hmmm, sounds complicated, why must I waste my Sunday morning doing that? That’s what I thought initially, but then I realized all you need is a bowl, a whisk and a small pot, and a small frying pan. Oh the smell that’s fills the house, the excited kids and husband, everyone can be a part of it, it has really become our Sunday morning tradition.
The Fruit Compote (do this first, as it will be ready by the time you finish off your pancake)
- 400g flour
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil or melted butter
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of milk
Easy to remember (all 2s or multiples of 2s)
Step 1: Puts eggs, sugar & oil (or melted butter), milk in a bowl and mix well until sugar melts.
Step 2: Sift the flour & baking powder into a bowl or over the liquid mixture, and then mix the whole thing with a spoon, it does not have to be smooth (the batter can be lumpy)
Step 3: If you have a brand new non-stick pan, then there are no worries about sticking. If not you have to put a bit of oil or butter in you pan to temper (make it non-stick) it before adding the batter.
Step4: Place your stove on medium heat. In Switzerland if you have an electric stove, it would be around a 6. Place about half a cup or a serving spoon worth of batter on the pan, and let is bubble up (about 5 or 6 minutes). Take your spatula and slighty lift up one side of your pancake, if it lift up easily and there is no batter oozing out, it is ready to flip. Just slide your spatula all the way under and give the pancake a quick flip. Let it cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.
Step5: (Optional, but oh sooo good) Put half a teaspoon of butter on top of the pancake and let it melt through.
The Fruit Compote
- 500g of mixed berries (fresh or frozen) – if using strawberries, slice them in quarters
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
Step 1: Place all the ingredient in a pot, and boil at a low heat for 10 minutes
Step 2: Pour in a pretty serving bowl (should be served warm & liquid )