Honey Soy Roasted Chicken March 19 2020
Honey Soy Roasted Chicken
Recipe for 1 whole chicken
1 whole chicken with skin
50 grams butter (makes the skin crispy, leave out for healthier option)
1 medium onion
4 cloves of garlic
1 knob of ginger
1 teaspoon crushed dry chilies (add more for extra spicy or leave out)
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons white pepper (substitute for 1 teaspoon of black pepper)
1 tablespoon sesame oil (optional, adds a smoky flavor)
- In a blender, blend all the ingredients (except chicken) into a paste, creating a marinade.
- Separate (but keep attached) the skin from the chicken using the back of a spoon.
- Spoon the marinade under the skin, make sure to marinate inside the cavity too
- Place marinated chicken on a baking tray, breast side down
- Set the oven to 200 degrees Celsius, roast chicken for 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes, turn chicken breast side up, add a little (about 100 ml) water, to the tray to prevent burning and create a nice sauce. Bake for another 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, spoon some sauce on the breast and loosely cover with foil.
- Reduce oven temperature to 175 degrees Celsius and bake for another 20 minutes
- Remove the chicken from oven and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes before serving (this allows the chicken juices to be re-absorbed and the meat will be beautifully juicy and tender)
Serve with white rice and make a sandwich with left overs. Yummy…!!!!!